Gratitude –Helpful Writing Prompts to Get Started with Gratitude
Written By: Sienna Wallwork, Program Assistant, Completing Bachelor of Applied Science in Family & Community Social Services and Social Service Worker Diploma
Gratitude is an important emotion to practice. It is a positive emotion, and can be described as a thankfulness or appreciation. One effective way to practice gratitude is with a gratitude journal. This is a journal where you write down anything you are grateful for. Keeping these ideas on paper is a good idea because, when you are feeling low you can consult the gratitude journal as a reminder of all you have to feel grateful for. When writing in your gratitude journal, try writing down three good things from each day. It can be anything, no matter how big or small it may seem. Alternatively, you can try some of the following prompts in your gratitude journal:
- What is one thing that makes you smile every day?
- What are you looking forward to in the next week?
- What are you looking forward to in the next month?
- What is something you take for granted now that was not part of your life this time a year ago?
- Take a look around your home and write about everything you see that you are grateful for.
- Write about a happy memory that you are grateful for.
- Write about someplace you have been that you are grateful for.
- What is an accomplishment you are proud of?
- Write about something or someone that makes you feel safe.
- Write about something about yourself that you are grateful for.
If you are having trouble thinking of things to write about in your gratitude journal, a helpful tip is to start small. It can be anything, from a supportive person in your life to your favourite sweater. The trick is to be consistent. By consistently writing in your gratitude journal, you will eventually have trained your brain to look for the positives.
Martin, S. (2021, November 18). The Power of Gratitude: 30 Gratitude Journal prompts. Live Well with Sharon Martin. Retrieved August 9, 2022, from https://www.livewellwithsharonmartin.com/the-power-of-gratitude-30-days-of-gratitude-journal-prompts/
Rehman, A. (2021, August 1). 13 journal prompts to practice gratitude. Grief Recovery Center. Retrieved August 10, 2022, from https://www.griefrecoveryhouston.com/13-journal-prompts-to-practice-gratitude/