Individual Counselling/Psychotherapy Services for Adult Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse, ages 18+
The counselling program at The Gatehouse is aimed at providing essential support for survivors of childhood sexual abuse (CSA). Our primary focus is to create a safe, inclusive, and healing environment where survivors can address their trauma, foster resilience, and reclaim their voices.
The counselling program is delivered by Graduate Students completing their Master’s Degree in Counselling Psychology or Masters in Social Work, or by our staff member Paula Cordeiro, Registered Psychotherapist. We offer individualized counselling sessions tailored to meet the unique needs of each survivor. Through both in-person and online counselling options, we strive to make our services accessible and flexible to accommodate various preferences and comfort levels.
Our counselling program emphasizes the importance of emotional validation, providing survivors with the space to share their experiences openly without judgment. The goal is to help them feel heard, understood, and supported throughout their healing journey.
Beyond providing a nurturing space for emotional expression, our counsellors equip survivors with essential coping skills to navigate the challenges arising from childhood sexual abuse. By offering practical tools and strategies, we empower survivors to build resilience and maintain a positive lifestyle.
Each participant can sign up to receive up to 10 individual counselling sessions, with an opportunity to extend sessions should there be a Counsellor in Training available to do so.
Cost: $40 for counselling intake, and $40 per session
To Sign Up For Counselling:
- All participants must complete an Initial Intake with The Gatehouse in order to access programs and services. If you are a returning participant to The Gatehouse, you must complete an intake again, if you have been away for more than 6 months.
- Complete the Initial Intake Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You will need to complete an initial intake meeting. There is no cost for this intake meeting. This is an introductory intake to provide an overview of available programs and services at The Gatehouse and discuss confidentiality, coping, and resources.
- You will then be added to the Counselling Services Waitlist
- A Graduate student or staff member will conduct a counselling-specific consult call with you
- Following the consult call, a Counselling Intake meeting will be scheduled.
- There is a $40 charge for the counselling intake meeting. An invoice will be emailed to you.
- You must complete the Counselling Intake Form and email it to the graduate student or staff member conducting the counselling intake.
- Counselling sessions will be set up based on the survivor and counselling student or staff member availability. These sessions can take place either online or in person at The Gatehouse. There is no counselling taking place on weekends. Sessions are only delivered during Monday to Friday.
- There is a $40 fee for each counselling session and a $40 fee for the counselling intake.
- For questions about the Intake process, please contact email@example.com
- Fees may be subject to change and 30 days’ notice in writing will be provided to the participant
All information shared in a counselling session is private and confidential except in the following instances:
- There is a risk of imminent danger to an identifiable third party or to self.
- There is suspicion of child abuse or neglect.
- A disclosure is ordered by a court.
- There is reasonable belief that a health professional is guilty of sexual abuse.
- There is reasonable belief that abuse or neglect of residents living in Long-Term Care Facilities or Retirement Homes is taking place.
- There is a need to share information with the College of Psychologists of Ontario or the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario or the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers for supervision or auditing purposes.
- The counselling services patient would like us to share information with a third party (their doctor, psychiatrist, psychologist etc.). In this care, the participant must sign a consent to disclose information form via The Gatehouse. Please reach out to your counselling student or firstname.lastname@example.org to request this form.
Method of payment: E-transfer or Credit Card or cheque payment at the end of each session. E-transfers can be made to Paula Cordeiro at email@example.com with a separate email containing the E-transfer password. Payment by credit card will be processed using PayPal invoicing. If paying by cheque, please make payable to “The Gatehouse”
Cancellation Policy: We require 24 hours’ notice to be provided in writing to your practitioner for cancelling/rescheduling appointments. A $40 fee applies for missed appointments or where 24 notice is not provided for appointment changes or cancellations. Services will be discontinued if payment is not received and before discontinuing services for non-payment, the counselling practitioner will advise the client of alternative services/service providers that are accessible to the client.
Find Other Mental Health Supports in Your Community: To search for additional mental health support resources in your community, check out the e-mental health website: https://www.ementalhealth.ca/
Crisis Numbers in Ontario: For a list of crisis numbers in Ontario click here
Intimate Partner Violence Resources Ontario: For a list of Domestic-Intimate-Partner-Violence-Resources in Ontario click here
Thank you to our supporters